Author Topic: Installing Ubuntu on Virtual Box  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Installing Ubuntu on Virtual Box
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »
Installing Ubuntu on Virtual Box

Hey guys! In my first ever walkthrough, I will walk you through a step-by-step process of installing Ubuntu on Oracle VirtualBox.

What you need:
Oracle VirtualBox - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Linux Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
A powerful computer. Anything which can run Win 7 with more than 2 GB of RAM should suffice.

The Process :

Obtaining Files :

Download and install Oracle Virtual Box. You can find it at the link provided. Download the one suitable for your computer. Since I am installing it on a computer with windows 7, I will download the  package for windows.

Then get the disk image of Linux Ubuntu. It will be in .iso format. In this video, I am choosing the 32-bit 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) version. You can download the newer version or the 64 bit version also.

Now install your VirtualBox. Like any other program in windows, all you have to do to install it is follow the on screen instructions for a default install.

Creating Virtual Machine :

Next, open up VirtualBox. Click on the ?New? button. A dialogue box will appear. Click on Next.

Now write any name you want to give to your virtual machine in the name section. In OS type, select your operating system as linux, and in version, select Ubuntu (or Ubuntu 64 bit, if you have downloaded the 64 bit version).

Click on ?Next?.
Next you have to select the amount of RAM you want to allocate to your virtual machine. I am going to select 1/4th the memory of my computer, i.e., 1 GB out of 4 GB.

In the next screen, you will be prompted to create a new hard drive or use an existing one. Since you do not already have a virtual hard disk, simply click on next. (Note : Do NOT uncheck the Start-up Disk option.) Click on next.

Now it will show you the options to create a new virtual hard disk. Because you are going to use this only with VirtualBox, just go with VDI. Click next.

Here you will choose between hard disk types ? Dynamically Allocated, or Fixed Size. In fixed size, the amount of hard disk space you chose to allocate your machine will be used instantly, and in Dynamically Allocated, the size of your virtual hard disk file will grow as more space is used. If disk space is not a problem, choose Fixed Size. In most cases, this will result in a small performance gain. I am just going to go with Dynamically Allocated. Click next.

In the next screen, choose the amount of hard disk space you want to give to your Virtual Machine. I am just going to keep it 20 GB, but you can keep it anything you desire, until it is more than the recommended hard disk space (8GB in this case). After you have entered your desired disk space, click on next.

It will show you a confirmation screen which shows you an overview of the hard disk settings. Click on create.

Now you will see summary of virtual machine settings. Click create. Congratulation! You have created yourself a virtual machine (real world equivalent would be that you have finally bought and assembled all hardware.)

Configuring your Virtual Machine:

Now in the main application window, select your virtual machine, and click on settings.

Choose system. Click on Enable IO APIC. Next click on the processor tab. Change the number of processors, according to what you are going to do on your virtual machine. I keep it at half the number of my physical processors (cores).

Next go to display panel, and max out the video memory slider.

Now go to Storage panel. Click on IDE controller -> Empty. Now click on the small disk icon.

On the resulting drop-down menu, click on ?Choose a Virtual CD/DVD disk file?? .

Now you will be prompted to browse to the installation media. Navigate to your virtual disk image (most probably, it will be in the place you keep your downloaded files), select it and click OK.

Now in back in the storage tab, you will see that instead of Empty, it shows you ubuntu.
Leave it here. Click on OK. You can tweak other settings later on, if you want.

Now choose your virtual machine and click start.

Beyond this point, there will be regular install of Ubuntu, so skip this section if you want, till the point where we install the guest additions.

Installation of Ubuntu.

At the resulting screen, click OK.

Click OK at the next dialogue box too, and watch Ubuntu boot.

There will be another dialogue box. Click OK.

Now, in Ubuntu, click on Install Ubuntu.

In the next screen, it will do a checklist of the following : disk space, power source and internet connection. Below that, there will be options to install updates and a third party MP3 decoder. Select it if you can want, and have a good internet connection. You can always install these after your Ubuntu is set up. I am going to skip these for now. Just click on Continue.

On the next screen, make sure that the Erase disk option is selected. The other option is for advanced users and tinkerers. Click on Continue.

Now it will show you installation summary. Notice that in the selected disk, it shows not your physical hard disk, but the name of your virtual hard disk.. Click on install now.

It will now install Ubuntu on your computer. It requires user input for a few steps, after that you can let your computer be.

First it will ask your time zone. Select your timezone and click continue to proceed.

Next your keyboard layout. In most cases, it will be the one selected ? English (US). If not, choose your keyboard layout and click on continue.

Lastly, it will ask about information to create a use account. Enter your information and click Continue.

And that?s it. Leave your computer to install Ubuntu. Depending on your computer?s power, it can take anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour.
Once it has done installing, you will be asked to re-start your system. (Virtual system, not your host.)

If your virtual machine gets stuck, just click on reset from the machine tab.

Click on OK on the next few dialogue boxes that appear. Now your virtual machine has successfully installed Ubuntu! Enter your password and click OK.
And there you go! Ubuntu installed. At this point, the resolution will be crappy, and performance will be bad, but it will be solved by installing Guest Additions.

Installing Guest Additions:

Go to the devices tab and click on install guest additions.

At the following prompt, click Run.

Now enter your password in the pop-up window. The installation will take place in a terminal windows (get used to this in Ubuntu). After the installation completes, click Enter to close.

Now, you will need to restart your VM to get it to work. Use the scroll-bars to get to the top-right button. Click it and click on Shut Down.

At the following prompt, click restart.

After your computer re-starts, maximize your windows and look at it change resolution automatically. Congratulations! You have successfully installed Ubuntu on Virtual Box.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:27:38 pm by Aaruni Kaushik »
HP Pavillion G6, Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon HD7670M 500 GB HDD, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. ; Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. ; Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? ; Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Me on FB, My Blog, Me on SteamMe on Twitter, About Me

Jaka

Re: Installing Ubuntu on Virtual Box
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »
Not bad...

Offline Anjali Rani

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:19:20 am »
in the configuration part,i can find the virtual disk image but it does not recognize it.

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:21:14 am »
Is your download zipped? In that case, you will have to unarchive it. Check that the extension of the file is ".iso"
HP Pavillion G6, Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon HD7670M 500 GB HDD, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. ; Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. ; Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? ; Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Offline Anjali Rani

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:22:07 am »
it is not.

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »
One fact that I forgot to write in the tutorial, the install might take significantly longer to complete because it starts downloading updates..