Author Topic: Homework - Should it be banned ?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Homework - Should it be banned ?
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:00:56 am »
Should homework be banned? Why or why not ?
HP Pavillion G6, Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon HD7670M 500 GB HDD, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. ; Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. ; Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? ; Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Me on FB, My Blog, Me on SteamMe on Twitter, About Me

Offline Jaka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Homework - Should it be banned ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:34 pm »
Well, It kind of depends on what is the homework.....
So I guess yes and no?

Offline Anurag Jha

• I am really an
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:14:21 pm »
Too much homework can be stressful, but homework in correct quantities is very helpful. Here are a few points to consider-
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Practice Makes Perfect -
Doing homework at school lets us repeat what was thought in school. The repetition of what was taught helps us remember concepts better.
Humans have a very sharp long term memory, but most of the thing we see, or hear are only retained in the short term memory and then soon forgotten, and this includes what is taught in school. So in order to retain concepts for a long enough time, it is necessary that repetition of the concept be done, and homework is a very effective tool to do so.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Teaches Responsibility-
Not very sure of this point, but I believe homework also teaches us responsibility. A student has to be made responsible, and I believe that giving homework and expecting it to be completed does indeed make a student responsible, and if the student doesn't do his/her homework, (s)he learns what the consequences can be the next day.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Teaches Management and Organisation-
A student has many thing to do (including homework) after coming back home from school. Doing these many things over a period of time teaches time management and organisation.( Not sure if I have presented this clearly enough, fell free to ask if you didn't get it).
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Self Assessment-
Consider mathematics for this example.
At school, very often in lower classes and many times in higher classes too, a teacher guides the students on how to solve a particular problem. But at home, the student has to do it on his own.This lets the student assess how well has he understood the concept, and lets him/her work harder if he/she hasn't understood the concept.
Some parents help their kids do homework, I believe this is a big mistake. A student should not be helped unless |s|he really requires it.
Keep an open mind, but not so much that your mind falls out!!!

Useful :
Show content
Step 1 : Press ctrl + w
Step 2 : Dialouge box appears. Click options > OK
Step 3 : Go to start menu
Step 4 : control panel
Step 5 : click Keyboard
Step 5 : Open MS word
Step 6 : press ctrl + alt + m

Offline Jaka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:22:43 pm »
Although i kind of agree with you Anurag, I think its forced, and nothing that is forced in my point of view is actually helpful when it comes to education

Offline Anurag Jha

• I am really an
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:46 pm »
Although i kind of agree with you Anurag, I think its forced, and nothing that is forced in my point of view is actually helpful when it comes to education

I agree on the above point, but still the benefits of homework do outdo this. Yes, too much homework is a serious problem, but homework in the right quantities may not make the student feel that it is forced upon him or her. i.e I mean to say that too much homework can be really bad for education, but if homework is in correct quantities, it does a lot of good to the student's education.

Useful :
Show content

Offline Anjali Rani

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:25:51 pm »
but i think the decision should be left to the students.in lower classes it might be helpful but in higher classes when it is stressful,it should be left to the students so they can study at there own pace and according to their own comfort or its no use.

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
I quite like the homework given, but it should only be given in moderation. Too much homework may lead to stress, and the students may be unable to cope with it.
HP Pavillion G6, Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon HD7670M 500 GB HDD, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. ; Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. ; Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? ; Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Offline Abirami

• friendship is the spiritual made by heavens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:05:47 pm »
see, the homework is not the notebook the students maintain but also the the worst copy of theirs which is being maintained. according to me homeworks should be given practically. the teacher should should allot different task to different students and ask them to complete like in observation sheets not likely to carry a book with. by this atleast they will have the fear to practice  to how to do that :ashamed: :facepalm:  

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:45 pm »
@Abhirami : Not quite sure I understand what you're trying to tell. Could you try to be more explicit ?

Offline Anurag Jha

• I am really an
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 06:59:18 pm »

I agree on the above point, but still the benefits of homework do outdo this. Yes, too much homework is a serious problem, but homework in the right quantities may not make the student feel that it is forced upon him or her. i.e I mean to say that too much homework can be really bad for education, but if homework is in correct quantities, it does a lot of good to the student's education.

@Jaka I do agree things forced can have a negative effect and home work should be given considering these points. Home work should be devised in such a way that a student does not feel that it is forced, but actually enjoys doing it.

But on the other hand, don't some kids feel brushing teeth is forced upon them? As humans we very often seek immediate benefit( there is scientific experimental proof for this) and homework does not seem to give any immediate benefit to any student even if they are aware of long term benefits and thus they try to avoid it. Forcing it is in a way giving immediate benefit to escape punishment at school, which motivates them to do it..

On the third hand, I suggest giving a reward such a toffee (in lower classes) for completed homework in school and no punishment other than a no toffee for an incomplete homework. i.e the reward must give an immediate-attractive short term benefit ( no long term benefits needed) and the punishment must not have any long term effects, cutting marks does have a long term effect

BTW note the importance of brushing, especially for students who complete their work regularly..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:10:41 pm by Anurag Jha »

Useful :
Show content

Offline Anjali Rani

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »
I quite like the homework given, but it should only be given in moderation. Too much homework may lead to stress, and the students may be unable to cope with it.
so your up for homework or against it?

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »
Up for it, when given in moderated amounts ( I quite like doing it)

Offline Anurag Jha

• I am really an
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 05:24:22 pm »
Am in support for homework...

Useful :
Show content

Offline Anjali Rani

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »
i'm not.
especially which is forced.
i'd rather practice at my own pace than be forced to copy because ther's a deadline(the current scenario with me)

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
as I said, enjoyable, when given in moderation.