Author Topic: Volume of a bucket  (Read 898 times)

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Volume of a bucket
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:16:47 am »
Question : An open metallic bucket is in the shape of a frustum of a cone mounted on a hollow cylindrical base of metallic sheet. If the diameters of the two circular ends of the bucket are 45 cm and 25 cm, the total vertical height of the bucket is 30 cm and that of the cylindrical portion is 6 cm, find the area of the metallic sheet used to make the bucket. Also, find the volume of water it can hold.

My question is that if the bucket is indeed open, then it has zero capacity, logically thinking, because it can hold no water ?  :scratchchin:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:49:40 am by Aaruni Kaushik »
HP Pavillion G6, Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon HD7670M 500 GB HDD, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. ; Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. ; Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? ; Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Me on FB, My Blog, Me on SteamMe on Twitter, About Me

Offline Anurag Jha

• I am really an
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Volume of a bucket
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:46:47 pm »
If you press the open side against the floor, such that there is no space between the bucket and the floor, then the bucket can contain water and have capacity.
Keep an open mind, but not so much that your mind falls out!!!

Useful :
Show content
Step 1 : Press ctrl + w
Step 2 : Dialouge box appears. Click options > OK
Step 3 : Go to start menu
Step 4 : control panel
Step 5 : click Keyboard
Step 5 : Open MS word
Step 6 : press ctrl + alt + m

Offline Aaruni Kaushik

• The Creator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Volume of a bucket
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »
ok, seems legit..
HP Pavillion G6, Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon HD7670M 500 GB HDD, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. ; Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. ; Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? ; Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Me on FB, My Blog, Me on SteamMe on Twitter, About Me